[ March 17, 2020 ]
Written by Randa Abdul Ilah Mikati
At a time when it is impossible to return to normal teaching in the classroom, the debate over the feasibility of distance education is emerging. Distance education is a reality that we can resort to when necessary, and its feasibility has been proven globally. The most important universities and schools in the West have become dependent on distance education in many cases and natural conditions due to its positive results after achieving the ingredients for success.
What, then, are the basic needs for success in distance education?
- The educational institution’s management should be aware of the requirements of distance education and create a system that help in this, in addition to the administration’s follow-up to its instructors through moral and technical support for teachers and students.
- The teacher’s mastery of the subject and excellent communication with his students through the available tools and motivating them through continuous encouragement.
- Students’ discipline and motivation to continue their studies.
- Parents should supervise, support and motivate their children to continue their studies, which can be, for example, by setting a specific place and time for studying at least 3 hours per day.
The most popular negative ideas/feelings about distance education are due to the absence of some of the above-mentioned components.
What are the positive outcomes of distance education for the student?
- Student learned written communication skills, most of the time, through electronic means, to communicate their ideas or to ask about information.
- Student are obliged to acquires good time management skills to be able to achieve during distance education.
- Students developed a sense of responsibility towards their studies.
- Students learned new technologies in remote communication.
- Distance education helped encourage students to self-learn, and this is possible through global platforms available from the most important universities in the world through MOOC.
- Distance learning trained students Training the student on discipline and electronic communication to to help them qualify him for working from home for local and oversas companies or even for self employement.
In these exceptional circumstances, is it better to waste time in complaints, or to join hands and exert effort to make this experiment a success with the available resources and capabilities?